Tuesday, August 04, 2009

when I was very young I used to live in fear of the large drains in the center of public restrooms. Not because I was afraid of rats or cockroaches (I'd never seen either other than grain rats in a horse barn & muskrats at the lake) but because I'd read HP Lovecraft & was convinced that fish people would come out of the drains and get me while I was least able to run or defend myself. When I was a little bit older, I moved to Brooklyn & learned that there was really a place called Red Hook.  I've been there once. I will not go there after dark for any reason. I've read Lovecraft & I know what lives there.  Today while visiting the restroom at work I thought I saw some movement in the large drain in the center of the tile floor. Despite many years in NYC & a great deal of close experience with things that slither & move in terrifying ways, my first thought was not "rat!" or "roach!" but...Red Hook. Fish people. HP Lovecraft. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home