Wednesday, December 20, 2006

and now that I've come to the end of my first semester of grad school...here are some random notes from my little red Clairefontaine notebook...

:try to solve the problem - where is the writer going? what's the story?
:structure :language
present tense - good or bad? what story is being told?
Peter Cameron "One Way or Another"
:draw a timeline - there HAS to be an understandable structure
Calvin Baker "Dominion" 9/25/06
:making beauty from pain: [I think I already posted my notes on this reading, if not, oh well...]
to quote a classmate of mine, "that man is beautiful" as is his prose..
:understanding origin as story
and then on to "workshop"
"opening - description not animated pg 1-2 w/out characters lack of animation too much too soon the end to elegiac for ending of a section point of view issue seeing house from a distance - confused by chronology bottoming out right away where is it going? (my aside: where are ANY of us going?) grief has to be "active" present action confusion of place "home" make the 2 houses clearer where is this story leading? time shifts are too much graph the time shifts (my note: please stop talking please) brother - not invested enough - he's "dead" in many sections what is the forward vector of her story? what is the logci of the chronology/timeline? protecting them - gauze over the lens - need more of the reality of who they are - clarity of scene, clarity of character - the mother - the letter - define the mother - what is the exchange here? [How to show the unimportance of ANYONE but the brother?] "Veronika" idea of vividly drawn characters (my note - as if I didn't KNOW what a vividly drawn character is?)
Use the scene with C. - has to have an "arc" need to be more firmly grounded before time shifts ground them more in the present How OLD is she? (my note: why does it matter so much to YOU how old she is?) see the character? who is she in the present? roots, heritage, "Sometimes A Great Notion" where in time is this? C's place in the timline feels too new - what is the history? (my note: gak...why does every story need to be about a f**king Relationship?)
what people look like/what people are like - J's dialogue - works?
"why specifically is he so important?" (my note: this person obviously has no family or has never lost any family...) next workshop: the idea of structure in story "Mysterious Skin" Scott Himes Julie Hect - claustrophobic - present action to frame to inform the memoir - transparency of process Mavis Gallant: Julie Oranger "Short Stories"...and that's only the first few pages...more later if I have any energy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home