Wednesday, April 12, 2006

NARAL south dakota letter

just got this in one of my email inboxes...the 2nd line was enough for me to not want to read the rest. "a national symbol of freedom" ?!? Unless, of course, you happen to be Native American. someone at NARAL needs to buy a f**king clue.

"My home state is under attack.
Home of Mount Rushmore, a national symbol of freedom, my South Dakota is now also known as a playground for the radical right. South Dakota has passed the most restrictive ban on abortion since Roe v. Wade, with no exception even in cases of rape or incest or when a woman's health is in danger.
These aren't the values of the state I know and love.
I grew up in De Smet, South Dakota -- population 1,250. There were 42 students in my graduating class. Each year my town welcomes thousands of visitors to tour the places made famous by Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House" books. I am a South Dakota gal who enjoys the great outdoors: camping, boating, and visiting my grandfather's farm.
Born, raised, and educated in South Dakota, I know plenty about small-town values -- values that our state legislature abandoned when it passed the ban. South Dakotans value community, helping out our neighbors, and protecting access to adequate health care. We also value privacy, and believe that a woman's health decisions should be made between her, her doctor, and her faith.
I apply the values I learned in South Dakota everyday in my job at NARAL Pro-Choice America -- and now I am going to stand with my home state and NARAL Pro-Choice South Dakota to oppose this ban. Just last month, pro-choice South Dakotans filed a petition to get a measure on the November ballot that would allow South Dakotans to repeal this law. NARAL Pro-Choice South Dakota is part of the coalition working to repeal the ban. With your help, we can restore pro-choice values to South Dakota.
Sincerely,Heidi, age 24, native of De Smet, South Dakota"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home