Wednesday, August 17, 2005

"Book World Laments Lack of Great Fiction"

in today's news, "Book World Laments Lack of Great Fiction" http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_en_ot/fall_books
my suggestion to the members of the "Book World" quoted in this article - try getting out of your respective offices once in a while & seeing what's actually out there...I've read more good books this year by NEW writers than I can remember in the past several years...not to mention the great manuscripts ACHING to be published & great writing going on in the small press/lit journals, etc. Sure, not everyone's writing "The DaVinci Code" (thank god!!) but then do we really need another rehash of RA Wilson's Illuminatis Triology mixed with a little Foucault then dumbed down for the American public? As far as the comment about the public not buying books...how about charging a little less for new releases? $25 for a book is outrageous...last night, I made the mistake of stopping by Barnes & Noble to see if they have the new Aimee Bender...there on the shelf was a PAPERBACK of "Willful Creatures" which on closer inspection turned out to be a GALLEY and NOT FOR SALE...being stupidly honest, I handed it to the very nice sales guy & after expressing his shock that someone had put it on the shelf, pointed me downstairs to the hardcover edition. $23. Sorry, much as I love her writing, that'll be another ebay/half.com purchase for me. I should've just been as dishonest as the publishers who charge that much for a book & kept the galley edition. Speaking of Aimee Bender, she'll be reading at the Astor Place Barnes and Noble on September 7th at 7pm. She's a GREAT reader so don't miss this one!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home