Friday, August 19, 2005

52 books in 52 weeks?!

quick rant for the day...read on a few different sites/blogs/etc. about various & sundry people striving to read 52 books in 52 weeks...sounds a little silly to me but I thought I'd sit down and try to count or at least estimate how many books I've read since January '05...not going to count comic books or "graphic novels" or screenplays or plays in general or books I had to read for work or literary journals or poetry just so I won't have to hear from you annoying purists out there but I am going to count "re-reads" just because I want to though I will mark them with a little * or a **if I read 'em twice...here goes in no particular order...denis johnson: jesus son*, stars at noon, resuscitation of a hanged man, name of the world**/jeanette winterson: passion, lighthouse keeping, sexing the cherry, written on the body*/chris offutt: out of the woods**, no heroes*, kentucky straight**, the good brother*/nick flynn:another bullshit night in suck city/ian rankin: resurrection men, knots & crosses, let it bleed, black & blue/haruki murakami: the wind-up bird chronicle/eugenides: middlesex (or as much of it as I'm going to read...)/the DaVince Code: dan brown (as a part of my promise to myself not to condemn what I have not yet read...it takes about 2 hours to read & yes, it's as bad as you might think)/gould's book of fish/john koopman: McCoy's Marines: darkside to baghdad/evan wright: generation kill*/secret society of demolition writers/elizabeth gilbert: the last american man/phillipa gregory: the queen's fool (okay...read it for work)/gregory maquire: mirror, mirror/emile zola: nana/bastard on the couch (daniel jones, ed.)/men seeking women (mainly for the chris offutt piece)/gould's book of fish (half in '04, finished in '05)/JA Jance: name withheld/tony hillerman:sacred clowns, sinister pig, hunting badger/james lee burke: cimarron rose, bitterroot*/and that's all I can remember right now...will add more as I trip over them at home or remember them during that special time between 4 and 6 a.m. when I lie away thinking about things like this...total so far is 34 which leaves 18 more books to read by December 31st...just in case this is some kind of secret contest that no one's told me about since it seems to be all over the web...somehow I thought it would be much more than only 34 books? I guess I'm spending too much time reading every damn literary journal that shows up in my P.O. Box...it's just that they're so much easier to read on the subway and I don't care if they get battered or someone idiot who's apparently riding the subway for the first time EVER in his f**king LIFE spills his morning coffee (replete with fake milk of course) all over me and the book I'm reading and then of course looks at me like somehow it's my fault and I shouldn't have been sitting in that particular spot, minding my own damn business, reading a literary journal in the first place...ahem. so...only how many weeks to read 18 more books? apparently I'm going to have to read a book a week if I want to meet that silly goal...somehow though, I think Zola should count more than say, Dan Brown or JA Jance (sorry...it was my mom's and I was stuck for a book)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home